Pages

August 28, 2010

Knowing Him by name

All thru God’s word we see that people knew God by different names.

David called Him El Elyon, God most High, my Shepherd, my Rock. Hagar called Him the "God who sees me", Moses called Him Yahweh Nissi, The Lord is my Banner, Abraham called Him Jehovah Jirah, the Lord will Provide. He was called Healer, Savior, Friend, King of Kings, Prince of Peace, Adonai, Abba Father, Almighty God, Hearer of Prayer, Our Redeemer. He called HImself, I AM. I like to think of God speaking to us with that name....

I AM your Shepherd...I will guide and lead you thru this season.
I AM your Rock....you can run to me when you feel weak.
I AM the God who sees you....I see every tear
I AM your Father...I will never abandon you
I AM the Hearer of your prayers, the lifter of your head, your SAVIOR, HEALER, FRIEND
I AM all these names...and more....come, taste and see!

See there is a total difference between reading God’s word to learn the names of God, and knowing HIm BY name. How is is that we move from knowing of this God...to knowing Him BY NAME. I am not a genius or a theologian, but in my experience....thru my pain, I have come to know Him by name. Yet, we as humans want to run from pain, we do anything to get away from it, we numb it, deny it, twist it, medicate it, cover it up, etc....and yet we know that God "causes all things to work together for the good of those who love Him and are called according to His purposes" (Romans 8:28).

Thru my lifetime, I have come to know God by many names. He is my Deliverer, & my Redeemer. I know HIm by these names personally ...not just because I read about them, or heard my pastor teach on them.. Many of us can "Christianese" the heck out of this question. "What are the names of God? " or "Who is God" and we can rattle the names off like crazy...yet at the deepest core of who we are, sometimes...we have no idea what we are talking about.

This week I am going to blog about the names of God I personally know...but let's start a conversation...what name do you know God by most personally? What name are you coming to know Him by in this season?

No comments:

Post a Comment