Pages

May 18, 2010

Ridiculous Choices

I am resolved to make ridiculous choices to follow Christ. This world may never understand me, but my Father does. I have found that over the years I am prone to wonder, and prone to stumble into sin. If there is sin nearby, my wretched heart will smell it, and seek it out, and ultimately as I fall I am led to death. Christ has freed me from the chains of death and He has given me freedom to make choices. I can either make choices that glorify Him as I step into obedience or I can make choices that lead down the road to destruction. Sometimes the choices we must walk into as Christ followers seem ridiculous or crazy to this world, “crazy” because they are so out of the norm, ridiculous because they are choices that maybe no one else is making. Imagine that….the road less traveled. …I seem to remember a dude named Jesus talking about this road.  The world calls these choices “ridiculous”…the Lord sees them as “ridiculously good!”

Some of my favorite stories of “ridiculous” choices are those of Noah building a boat when there was no sign of rain, David taking a slingshot to defeat the giant Goliath, Esther risking her life by approaching King Xerxes without an appointment to plead with him for mercy on her people, and my favorite one is of Jesus, a divine man, who chose to give up his comfort, his throne, his safety, his LIFE so that we, who don’t deserve it, might have forgiveness and life and have them in great abundance.

I am compelled to make ridiculous choices by those who have gone before me in God’s word, and my brothers and sisters in Christ who encourage me to follow Jesus. I am also compelled in my lifetime to encourage others to choose the narrow path, to be set apart, and to make ridiculous choices to follow Christ Jesus. Listen to these beautiful words…

“Now listen! Today I am giving you a choice between life and death, between prosperity and disaster. For I command you this day to love the LORD your God and to keep his commands, decrees, and regulations by walking in his ways. If you do this, you will live and multiply, and the LORD your God will bless you and the land you are about to enter and occupy.” Deuteronomy 30:15-20

I want to encourage you today to make ridiculous choices to follow Him. Give up some of your freedom, willingly, in exchange for your life. You have an opportunity every day to make ridiculously good choices that will lead you away from losses you are headed for, that will lead you way from death & disaster, and that will lead you into God’s blessings, into His “promised land” for your life. What choice is God calling you to make? What choice is He asking you to make today that doesn"t seem to make sense in the worlds ways? Go in the strength that He gives and LIVE.

3 comments:

  1. Want my two cents? I think this is the title of your book. Ridiculous choices. It, and the notion of redemption/adoption/grace are the core of your soul.

    Excited to see Jesus flowing through you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Great minds think alike:) On a journey of studying and walking out ridiculous choices!

    ReplyDelete