Pages

January 29, 2008

Getting to know your team

How often do you really sit down and chat with people on your team about their lives? It amazes me how often we are surrounded by people that we have been serving alongside for years, but we don't know where they work, what their dreams are, how they came to know Christ, etc. I think this happens because we get busy...isn't that a familiar phrase.."I'm so busy, too busy, busy busy busy!"? I had the priveledge of enjoying lunch with the STEP band that I have served alongside since September, and man...they are a cool group of dudes! I think that getting to know those you serve alongside is critical to building relational health on a team. So....I plan on doing just that. I want to get inside people's heads, find out what makes them tick, what they are passionate about, what are their dreams, what are their kids names, what was the best day of their life...etc. How can I effectively lead people I don't truly know? Surface level relationships absolutely won't do! When we invest in people's lives, ask them questions, hurt when they hurt, celebrate with them, etc...this is when you start seeing awesome results happen in and through your team. Ask yourself the next time you are at a staff meeting, or serving at your
church...."Do I know what makes "so and so" (hopefully you know their name)tick? "Do I know what happened on the best day of their lives?, etc" If not, I suggest that you start digging deeper....it will only help you become a more effective leader. A wise man once said (I think it was John Maxwell?) that people don't care how much you know until they know how much you care". Does your team KNOW that you care?