Pages

June 20, 2013

The SuperWoman Escape Plan

It seems that every woman I know feels overwhelmed.  Every conversation I stumble into with another woman, whether she has employment outside the home, works from home, or goes to school, the theme is that we are....

Busy.  Busy.  Busy.

Many of us are wishing for another hour in the day, for one less expectation to fall on our shoulders, for one less "to-do" on our list, and ultimately, our souls are crying out for rest.

Family schedules, cleaning schedules, school schedules, work schedules, grocery shopping schedules, sports schedules, workout schedules, eating schedules, church schedules, chemo schedules...  schedule a date, schedule a sitter, schedule your quiet time, schedule time with friends,  ....we are nearly scheduled to death...with no end in sight as we strive to do it ALL.  And then, Most of us like to keep quiet about the fact that we are feeling overwhelmed with it ALL, because speaking about it would mean we have to take off our cape.  SuperMom. SuperWife. SuperFriend. SuperWoman.

All of this can leave us feeling tired, overwhelmed, defeated, distracted, consumed, and like we are being pecked to death, which ultimately leaves us...

Looking for an escape.  

Some women shop. Some eat. Some Drink.  Some Exercise. Some fantasize about another life. Some have affairs. Though our "escape plans" can look entirely different, what drives us to the need to escape,  is often very similar.  We're tired. I am tired.

I found myself asking the Lord throughout the day today...how do I truly enter your rest?

An old hymn was stuck in my head for most of the day, to the point where it almost annoyed me.

As I was.....
...Doing the dishes.  Seek ye first the kingdom of God, and His righteousness.
...Grocery shopping.  And all these things shall be added unto you. Allelu... Alleluia 
...Making dinner.  Man does not live by bread alone. But by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God. Allelu...Alleluia
...Picking up daughter from dance. Ask and it shall be given unto you....
...Chatting with a friend about how overwhelmed we were...Seek and ye shall find. Knock and the door shall be opened unto you. Allelu...Alleluia.

I remembered that in Zephaniah 3:17 it says " For the Lord your God is living among you. He is a mighty savior. He will take delight in you with gladness. With is love, he will calm all your fears. He will rejoice over you with joyful songs."

God had been rejoicing over me with a joyful song all day long, and once I finally realized it,  I experienced an overwhelming sense of peace and oddly enough, I felt rested.  I don't have an answer from Him on how to avoid all the "crazy". I don't have a quick fix to feeling overwhelmed.  But, I am reminded that when I seek Him and His righteousness before all other "to-do's" on my list...not "if" there is time, then I end up having all that I need to get thru the day.  I am reminded that when He is first....when studying His word is first in my life...that is when I am truly successful.  (Joshua 1:8)

So, if you are feeling overwhelmed by your schedule, in desperate need of an escape plan,  I pray that you will escape in His word. Sing a simple worship song. Stop and pray.  As you do so, may you experience His peace and His rest.  Maybe the next time you hear your friends talking about how busy they are, how overwhelmed and over scheduled they are, remind them to escape in Him, to seek Him first, and to find His rest.

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28



  








1 comment:

  1. Yes. I am tired. Thank you for reminding me that I am not alone. Jenny

    ReplyDelete